Monday 29 June 2015

Family, community, friends, team mates, camaraderie, mentors, brotherhood, sisterhood, encouragement, suffering, laughing, bar slamming, torn callouses, sore everything...


Is the crazy growth in the sport of CrossFit over the last years due to the fact that crazy people have finally all come together in one place called a box? Maybe.

What is it about what we do at Synergy Strength Crossfit Saskatoon and CrossFit gyms around the world that keep so many coming back for more?

I'd like to know what you think because right now, you get to hear what I think.


Romans 12:10-11 (GNT)
10 Love one another warmly as Christians, and be eager to show respect for one another. 11 Work hard and do not be lazy. Serve the Lord with a heart full of devotion.

I go back to the first time I walked into Synergy Strength and yes, met Chad Benko, the guy with the weird leg tattoo. He walked me through "CrossFit stuff" some of which I could do and others I could not. For example, a strict pull-up. Nope couldn't get one. But I will not forget that, while pulling till I was very red I'm sure, this group of people I didn't know were kind of yelling. And then I realised they were cheering for me to make that pull-up. That's odd, I thought...and very nice.

I came to love so many people at the gym so quickly. Why? There was so much respect for each other. We all showed up to go into a workout together knowing it was going to hurt. Something about doing it together made all that pain okay. And being told that you did great at the end of it all was so encouraging. And being able to pay that forward by cheering someone on to finish the workout or get cheered on to finish the workout was...well it was love.

#1 reason why CrossFit has taken off: it has people workout together causing an incredible amount of energy to be released that results into no one getting left behind. Everyone makes it. At the end of it all, that's a lot of love and respect in one building.



Philippians 2:3(GNT)
3 Don't do anything from selfish ambition or from a cheap desire to boast, but be humble toward one another, always considering others better than yourselves.


Everyday there is something to celebrate for someone in CrossFit: less bands, no bands, more push-ups, less pain, bringing a friend, a big or little PR. What's great is it really isn't "my PR". We all tell a coach, "You got me here. Thanks." or a team mate, "Thanks for pushing me." A win belongs to the group...it's never a one person show.

#2 reason CrossFit has taken off: it's an environment where we all achieve personal success. Knowing we didn't do it alone makes it very enticing because we start to realise and believe there's another PR not too far off in the future.
 

Proverbs 27:17

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.
Greg Glassman might say something like this, "Tell me the fitness levels of the 5 people you spend the most time working out with, and I'll tell you your fitness level." We are the sum of the people we spend our time with. Hang out with people who take that step over the line, add a little more weight to the bar, aren't afraid to miss, in fact look forward to missing so they can get closer to making it, and soon you are doing the same.

I am inspired by the newbie who wants to try kipping pull-ups, wants to keep adding to the dead lift bar. That desire to find your limits and surpass them, is how we are designed. Somewhere along the way of life, we get lost because of things people say, things we read, etc. At Synergy Strength we have the most amazing coaches that encourage us to sharpen our edge...sharpen it everyday just a little. AND then we all start doing it for each other.

#3 reason why CrossFit has taken off: we were created to be the BEST version of the GRANDEST vision we have ever had about ourselves. CrossFit does this because we all work and see it to the end together. No one is left behind and in that we all become our BEST at the moment.

Now the word "community". 

"a feeling of fellowship with others, as a result of sharing common attitudes, interests, and goals"




















What can I say? At this event, I went inside to get water and ice. The young gal serving me asked, "Are you guys like fitness people?" I smiled and said, "Yes, we like fitness." This journey back to the CrossFit Games is not mine. It belongs to all of us. I am only as good as the people I hang out with. And I really think I'm pretty badass. And the guy in this picture with me, does he know how to smile for the camera or what??? 

The smiles, the words of encouragement, the coaching, the joking, the hugs, the shared pain of Hell Week, allowing me to play my music mix, spending one of your weekend days to enjoy each others company while helping me get to CA? It all makes me lower my chin and give gratitude. 

AND remember please...as tough and confident as you think I look or act, and maybe you think I'm even more badass than I do, I fear everything you do and work everyday to be confident. So words of encouragement and love you can show in any way, is very welcome. 

Here's some great words by others that capture why I love my CrossFit community. 








No comments:

Post a Comment